Produced by Caitlin Healy, Brendan McCarthy, and Anush Elbakyan. Shot and edited by Caitlin Healy.
In Massachusetts, a tragic history of failed attempts to get dangerous drivers off the road
“It’s incompetence. That’s what gets you hitting your head against the wall,” said Kay Dudley, a former chairwoman of the Massachusetts chapter of Mothers Against Drunk Driving, whose daughter was killed by a drunk driver in 1984.
Nine key takeaways from the Globe’s ‘Blind Spot’ investigation
The Globe uncovered the hidden dangers on America’s roads, and how the government fails to protect drivers.
We shared our findings with state agencies. Suspensions, investigations, and reviews soon followed
At least four motor vehicle agencies and court systems launched investigations into their failure to flag thousands of dangerous drivers.
‘Morally do I feel responsible… Yes.’ The full conversation with Stephanie Pollack
Read what the Department of Transportation Secretary said about safety issues on our roads, and why we don’t have a fully electronic system to keep track of problem drivers.
- “Blind Spot” was reported by Globe staff Evan Allen, Laura Crimaldi, Vernal Coleman, and Matt Rocheleau.
- Editors: Brendan McCarthy, Steve Wilmsen, Scott Allen, and Mark Morrow
- Audience experience and engagement: Heather Ciras
- Research: Jeremiah Manion
- Design: Ryan Huddle
- Graphics: Saurabh Datar and Ryan Huddle
- Development: Kevin Wall, Saurabh Datar, Joe Hillman, Adam Fields, Todd Dukart, Daigo Fujiwara, and John Hancock
- Quality assurance: Meredith Stern
- Project management: Heather Ciras and Justin Coronella
- Video producer: Caitlin Healy
- Director of video: Anush Elbakyan
- Photographers: Lane Turner and John Tlumacki
- Photo editor: Leanne Burden Seidel
- Director of photography: Bill Greene
- Copy editors: Michael J. Bailey and Mary Creane
- Homepage strategy and design: Cynthia Needham and Yiqing Shao